- Ph.D., The University of Washington
Webb Miller joined the department in September 1985. He has held a position as permanent staff member at the IBM T. J. Watson Research Center and served on the faculty at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and the University of Arizona, as well as having held two earlier appointments at Penn State. Professor Miller has worked in the area of numerical software, and has authored several books on the subject. He has served as editor-in-chief of Collected Algorithms of the ACM, and is on the editorial boards of Genome Research, Journal of Computational Biology, and Bioinformatics.
Currently, he is developing algorithms and software for analyzing DNA sequences and related types of data from molecular genetics. Dr. Miller's research is being supported by the NIH grant, "Software for Analyzing Biosequence Data. "He is collaborating on that grant with Dr. Ross Hardison of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Dr. Miller's research has been continuously supported by NIH grants since 1989.
Algorithms and Software for Molecular Biology
- Murphy, W. J., T. H. Pringle, T. Crider, M. S. Springer, W. Miller. 2007. Using Genomic Data to Unravel the Root of the Placental Mammal Phylogeny. Genome Research 17(1):422-432.
- Ma, J., L. Zhang, B. Suh, B. Raney, R. Burhans, W. J. Kent, M. Blanchette, D. Haussler, W. Miller. 2006. Reconstructing Contiguous Regions of an Ancestral Genome. Genome Research 16(1):1557-1565.
- Ovcharenko, I., G. G. Loots, B. M. Giardine, M. Hou, J. Ma, R. C. Hardison, L. Stubbs, W. Miller. January 2005. Mulan: Multiple-sequence Local Alignment and Visualization for Studying Function and Evolution. Genome Research 15:184-194.
- Blanchette, M., W. J. Kent, C. Riemer, L. Elnitski, A. F. A. Smit, K. M. Roskin, R. Baertsch, K. Rosenbloom, H. Clawson, E. D. Green, D. Haussler, W. Miller. April 2004. Aligning Multiple Genomic Sequences with the Threaded Blockset Aligner. Genome Research 14:708-715.
Schwartz, S., L. Elnitski, M. Li, M. Weirauch, C. Riemer, A. Smit, NISC Comparative Sequencing Program, E. D. Green, R. C. Hardison, W. Miller. April 2003. MultiPipMaker and Supporting Tools: Alignments and Analysis of Multiple Genomic DNA Sequences. Nucleic Acids Research 31(13):3518-3524.