- Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania
Dr. Hannan received his B.S. degree in computer science from Cornell University (1983), his M.S. degree in computer science from the University of Wisconsin-Madison (1984), and his Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania (1990). He spent two years as a research associate in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Copenhagen. Since 1992 he has been at Penn State as an assistant professor (1992-1998) and an associate professor (1998-present).
His research activities focus on the analysis of programming languages and their implementations. In particular, he studies the problems of program equivalence, program verification, and compile-time optimizations of higher-order languages. This research has been supported by NSF grants. He has served as a Scholars advisor since 1995, has been the department's ACM advisor, and has been awarded the department's outstanding teaching award.
Programming Language Semantics and Implementation, Logic and Computation, Type Theory, Functional Programming, Verification of Compiler Algorithms, Software Engineering
- Fischbach, A., J. Hannan. May 2001. Type Systems for Uselss - Variable Elimination. Proceedings of the Symposium on Programs as Data Objects (PADO II). Springer-Verlag LNCS. 2053:25-38. Aarhus, Denmark.
- Fischbach, A., J. Hannan. September 2000. Higher-Order Lambda Lifting. Workshop on Semantics, Applications and Implementation of Program Generation, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag 1924:108-128.
- Hannan, J., P. Hicks. September 2000. Higher-Order UnCurrying. Journal of Higher-Order and Symbolic Computation 13(3):179-216.
- Hannan, J., P. Hicks. September 1998. Higher-Order Arity Raising. Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Functional Programming. pp. 27-38. Baltimore, MD. Edited by P. Hudak, C. Queinnec. ACM Press.
- Hannan, J., P. Hicks. January 1998. Higher-Order UnCurrying. Proceedings of the ACM SIGPLAN-SIGACT Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages (POPL '98). pp. 1-11. San Diego, CA.